Hey, everyone! I’m happy to announce a new feature on the blog this week: weekly recaps! A lot of other blogs do them, and I love them because:
1. They’re a great way to give readers a quick overview of any new posts.
2. It lets me showcase some other people’s blog posts that I’ve found interesting over the past week. This may be a post from another book blogger about a new release, a book blogging tip, or just something random that I found cool.
3. It’s a place to just talk about what’s going on in mah lyfe. And where I can ask you to share about yours. Hopefully, we’ll get to know each other better…beyond the blogging. 🙂
The format is going to take some playing around with, but for now, I’ll probably start out with a life update or two, then summarize what’s happened on the blog over the past week, and sum up with showing some blogger love to external posts.
It’s My Life
I’ve been in a little bit of a life slump lately, and haven’t been doing much aside from napping and watching TV. I mean sure, I do a lot of that all the time, but I usually do something besides laying in bed while I watch TV. Most of my productive activity happens with Netflix by my side. Not lately.
I’m hoping that it’s just burnout, because I have a lot of time off over the next few weeks. At my company, all paid time off expires December 31, and I didn’t take many vacation days this year, so it came down to “use ’em or lose ’em.” I’ve taken all my Fridays off this month, have tomorrow off, and then Tuesday is my last day until January 5. Sure, I have some family obligations and stuff, but I’ hoping to just relax and revive myself as much as possible.
My first guest post as a book blogger went live last Friday! Guest blogging is something that I’ve always loved doing as a marketer, at one point writing several per month. Since my priorities shifted at work, I haven’t been blogging much between the hours of 9 and 5, and writing reviews doesn’t always fill that void.
So I was really excited to get this opportunity to guest blog for Oh, The Books! Head on over there to read my guest post about whether or not you can separate a book from the person who wrote it.
I’d love to hear your opinion on the topic, either in the comments on that post, or right here.
On the Blog
Like I said earlier, I’ve been in a little life slump, which means a blogging slump as well. So there have only been three posts in the past week (although as I head into 2015 and adjust the blog’s goals, this will probably be the new normal):
- Read Chapter 1 of Enforce by Rachel van Dyken
- Learn why 100% reach doesn’t exist on any social network, whether or not they use algorithms
- Find out my goals and check my progress for the December Write On Review-a-Thon
Links I Lurve
In honor of my first weekly recap, this week’s “Links I Lurve” (aka interesting stuff you might want to read) are all weekly recaps on other blogs that inspired me to start my own.
- Weekly Recaps from Oh, the Books! – These are definitely the most in-depth recaps I’ve seen. There have been times where I spent an entire afternoon reading the numerous links from around the web that they include in here.
- In My Pocket from The Book Vixen – I originally wanted something like this for the title, but I use Feedly and Evernote instead of Pocket, and it just didn’t have the same ring to it. 😛 I also like the weekly themes (especially the Sons of Anarchy one that I can’t read yet because spoilers lol).
- Sitting at Starbucks from Nose Graze – Ashley’s recaps are what made me want to start a feature where I could talk about life, instead of just books only or blogging only. So the “It’s My Life” section should be dedicated to this. Also, I love the title. I hope I can eventually come up with something more clever than “write-up.”
I hope that you’ll see some of of each of these (but not too much) in the future of The Weekly Write-Up. I also know I will probably be turning to Oh, the Books! recaps and In My Pocket when I’m short on content for the Links I Lurve section, cause those ladies know how to find good posts…and keep them. I find a lot of good posts, and forget to keep them for later. Womp womp womp.